Assessment (Bloodchild)


Bloodchild by Octavia E. Butler
  • What is my reaction to the text I just read? 
    • When I was introduced to the short story, I was kind of confused at the beginning. Although, I caught on later, I saw this story as very different from our life. I saw another perspective, in a society of how terrans and tlic had to live with each other. Overall, my feelings for this read was very weird. This was alien, or foreign to me. I was disgusted when the author was describing the scene when T'Gatoi was removing eggs inside Bram. It was psychological and thrilling to me having to imagine the scenes and also of what Gan is going through. How he was scarred by the eggs being ripped from Bram, at that point I was nervous of how Gan was going to go out.
  • What connections did you make with the story you just read? Discuss elements of the work which you were able to connect.
    • In general, there were some points in the story I was able to relate to. Mainly the fact of being anxious. I could reason with Gan because he saw of the gruesome scene of birth. I could vouch for him that he was scared from both Qui's story and the birth would make him resist against having T'Gatoi implanting her eggs inside of him. As a result, I would define this as being a fear built up from rumors/experiences; and in this case, fear of death. The secondary point I could connect to is demanding equality. Gan was very confident to make T'Gatoi consent to having his rifle in the house. T'Gatoi accepts this, understanding where Gan was coming from and how he was afraid. Overall, I can somewhat relate to this when asking for someone to respect them.
  • What changes would you make to adapt this story to another medium? What medium would you use? What changed would you make?
    • Personally, I think this could be adapted into a short film. I saw this movie, as a question of morality and mindset. But the changes I would make to adapt this story is probably making the Tlic less creepy. In the vision in my head, I saw them looking like giant centipedes which kind of disgusted me. I would make the Tlic more humanlike, but with some qualities of the original. For example, centipede limbs and a stinger tail. Some other changes would be the process of implanting eggs. When the very graphic scenes happen, I wouldn't want to show it to the audience. Instead they would probably see the result, such as eggs being removed from Bram instead of seeing the whole duration of T'Gatoi removing the eggs. 

Comments